Monday, April 03, 2006

Finishing Projects

Ahhhh...what a nice sense of accomplishment when you finish a project! Even better...when the finished project looks good! A few weeks ago I gave my Mom a black knit and crocheted, boat-neck sweater that she had requested. I saw her wear it yesterday and it looked great on her! Success! The photo of Mom isn't that great....she was squinting in the sun...she's really much cuter than this, HOWEVER, the sweater looks great!
I'm really excited about finishing my faux Ferragamo bag. Now, I only need to run out in the rain at lunchtime today and pick up the big button closure and some small buttons for trim. I searched for some decent leather-looking handles for the bag, but everything I saw was just too darn expensive. So, I remembered something that I learned in my "Build A Better Bag" class at Stitches West, taught by Gwen Bortner. Gwen told us that braided handles are way stronger than knitted or crocheted handles. I crocheted 3 long chains, 2 with dark brown soutache and one with the Lion Brand Suede that I used for the top of the bag. After chaining these strands, I braided them together for a very strong handle. I made two of these and sewed them to the non-public side of the crocheted lining. Oh yes, I took a tip from Regina and crocheted a lining for my bag, adding a cellphone pocket. The originaI bag priced at $1,650 is pictured at right. My bag ended up costing $15 in materials. I wish the weather would brighten up so I could use this summery purse!

Almost Finished! Looking for Buttons!

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 12:57 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen! I can't believe you did this! It looks great. Your second attempt is right on the money. Congratulations!

Judy
Bakersfield

 
At 1:12 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent Ellen! Can't wait to see it with the button.

Tootles~

 
At 2:44 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ellen you are a knitting goddess!

 
At 4:24 PM PDT, Blogger Susan Wike said...

Hey! You've done it. It's even better than the original pricey model. Now we'll need to hear about all of the compliments you get on it!

 
At 8:59 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen said...

Hi Ellen,
That bag is just gawjuss! You are so talented.

BTW..thanks for commenting on my Ellen blog. Did you know it was me, the other LA SnB Ellen?

 
At 7:16 AM PDT, Blogger PnP said...

Ellen, your bag is gorgeous. I love this version. Did you use the pattern you picked up originally or did you finagle your own? Its wonderful!

 
At 10:00 AM PDT, Blogger Lori said...

It's beeeuuutiful! so when are you going to try out for project runway?

 
At 6:45 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen, your bag is superb!! I would love the pattern, can you share it with me, hugs, Lillian

 
At 10:34 AM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hi Lillian,
Lionbrand has the knit bag portion pattern on their website, it's pattern #60402. You have to register to get the pattern. Best of luck.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery