Friday, August 21, 2009

Grocery Shopping

Y & Y Corner Market, 39th St., L.A.
Photo by Wm. Reagh, 1976, from LAPL Archives

We've come a long way in Los Angeles from the corner market to the many Trader Joe's Grocery Stores on the Westside.
Well, it's finally happened...there is yet another Trader Joe's in West Los Angeles. This one is located on Olympic Blvd. @ Stoner Ave., near Barrington. This store will supposedly serve the communities of Brentwood, Pacific Palisades, West L.A and other nearby areas. There must be at least four other T.J.'s nearby, but the demand is high. If they build it, we will come!

I arrived at the new store about 15 minutes after the opening at 9 am this morning. The roof parking lot was jammed. There are lots of spaces on the roof, but I'm not thrilled about access to the parking lot. There's only one ramp and it tends to get clogged at peak hours. One more negative before I get to the positives: You have to either take the stairs or an elevator to and from the parking lot....not great if you have lots of groceries.


Now, on to the positive factors of this new store: There was a hula band playing in the lobby, everyone got a Hawaiian lei upon entry to the store and there were lots of free snacks. The store is large inside, beautifully layed out and almost roomy compared to other T.J. stores. Each section is huge and of course, well-stocked. They went all out on the art design of this store with painted murals of Los Angeles landmarks. I'll definitely shop at this store because it's on the route between my office and home. I will be avoiding it for the first few weeks though, until the glow wears off.
It is Vintage Photo Friday (note photo of old corner market above). Click for more VPF.
Trader Joe's-Olympic. 11755 W Olympic Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90064. Phone: (310) 477-5949. Trading Hours: 9 am - 9 pm

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 1:10 PM PDT, Blogger Jean said...

I love Trader Joe's and do most of my shopping there. The closest one is about 8 miles from my home, but its well worth the trip. It's always fun to check out your vintage photos.

 
At 2:30 PM PDT, Anonymous Jo Anne said...

OK, so I too went there today. I went at about 1pm and it was so mobbed that I was sorry I had decided to go there. Unlike you, I didn't really even take the time to look around. I felt like I do when I go to Costco - a deer in head lights. I just tried to get a few things and get out. The lines at the check outs were quite long as well. It did look quite roomy inside - with a large wine section. I will probably stick with my Westwood Village TJ's although I pass this one on my way to and from work as well.

Have a great weekend.

 
At 6:56 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

I love the TJ products, but you hit on the one consistent complaint - parking is a beeeyotch, and they always seem crowded! I don't even like driving past the one on La Brea @ 3rd. I've gone to the one in Culver City once or twice, but it has ALWAYS been crowded (and it has a similar problem of parking being an elevator ride away from the store). Sigh.

 
At 4:13 PM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

You are right, Trader Joe's is like the corner grocery store. Love it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery