Monday, November 30, 2009

Leftovers-a-Rama-a-Go-Go

So, one of the reasons I like going OUT for Thanksgiving dinner is that there's no preparation and no clean-up. There's plenty of time to visit with cousins, aunts, uncles, etc. One of the reasons I DON'T like going out for Thanksgiving dinner is that there are NO LEFTOVERS! Of course, I could have gone through the buffet line at the Club with my Tupperware© container, but that would have been too tacky. It's just not the same as raiding your auntie's refrigerator.
On Friday morning I took myself to the market to see if there were still some turkey parts left in the butcher section. Yes! I bought a 1/4 breast and 2 legs. So, on Friday, Saturday AND Sunday, Larry and I had our very own Thanksgiving feast. In addition to Von's, my good ol' buddy, Trader Joe helped immensely with our dinner.We had turkey, stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce, creamed spinach. For dessert I tried this online recipe for pumpkin cheesecake pie (bleah)...it didn't quite taste as I'd expected. I did make a batch of Perky Turkey cookies though and they saved the weekend!O.K. I'm REALLY tired of turkey now. The last of the turkey will be diced up along with vegies tonight for a stir-fry with brown rice.
How much turkey did you eat over the weekend? Got any great recipes for leftovers?

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 4:21 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm...I love leftovers too. Looks like you had a delicious weekend!

Judy
Bakersfield

 
At 4:31 PM PST, Blogger Natalie said...

No turkey leftovers :( I should have gone over to your house.
Making butternut squash lasagna tonight with the leftover ravioli filling and cannoli pie. YUM!!!

 
At 4:34 PM PST, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

I was *SO* happy to leave the leftovers at our hosts' house in San Diego. I ate waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much.

And dude - BRINE the turkey. That's what our friends did, and at least 3 other people here at work, and everyone agrees it makes for the BEST. TURKEY. EVER. I couldn't give you details b/c I don't cook, but it sounds simple enough - you marinate the turkey for a day +/- in a saltwater solution. Juiciest turkey I've ever had.

 
At 5:25 PM PST, Anonymous Donna said...

They are the cutest cookies! About the Singer...I have 2 much newer machines but that one is my favorite...I do most of my sewing on her!

 
At 6:20 PM PST, Blogger Jean said...

The cookies really are cute. A stir fry sounds like a great way to use left overs as it would really fall into a different flavor category. I've used turkey also in tacos and enchiladas.

 
At 8:11 PM PST, Blogger Kath said...

Sadly I had to work on Thanksgiving, and late too. But I benefited from someone else's leftovers - a good friend invited me to come over after work and fixed me a big plateful!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery