Friday, December 11, 2009

Vintage Photo Friday - Chanukah

Chanukah, 1956
Sasha, Ellen, Denny and Ken Bloom

I have fond memories of family Chanukah parties. We always celebrated with my Dad's side of the family. My Aunt Betty and Uncle Hi hosted the party. After lighting the menorah and saying the prayer, Uncle Hi would call out our names and pass out our presents for each round of gifts while we sat on the carpet in front of the menorah. Then he'd yell, "1,2,3 GO! Open your gifts!" With a wild frenzy, we'd all rip the paper and ribbons off our little gifts. Once we had settled down, he'd pass out the next round of gifts and the frenzy would start all over again. We'd usually receive around 5 or 6 small presents, usually stationery, small toys, trinkets. Grandpa and Grandma Bloom would give each of us a silver dollar....Chanukah gelt. Sometimes, we'd play the dreidle game, more often we'd just run around and terrorize each other!
My Aunt Betty and Uncle Hi always prepared a great dinner. Usually, we'd start with chopped herring, chopped liver and rye bread and other appetizers. The main course was roast chicken, brisket, vegies, various salads and jello molds. The potato pancakes / latkes, served with applesauce and sour cream were the highlight of the meal. We called Aunt Betty's latkes, "Kentucky Fried Latkes." She's the only cook I know that would deep fry her potato pancakes. They were fantastic! Betty's son, my cousin Sasha, tells me that he still uses his Mom's receipe. Yummmm...I can taste the crunchy goodness right now!

Chanukah, 1962

Top Row: Barbara, Ellen, Denny, Sasha, Ken, Amie

Bottom Row: Barry, Stacey, Carol, Greg and Cory

I was fortunate to have grown up with all of my cousins in the Los Angeles area. We're scattered all over the country now. My cousin, Barbara lives in New York, Barry, Carol and Stacey live in Northern California and my brother lives in North Carolina. My cousins, Denny and Greg have passed on. As I light the candle for the first night of Chanukah at sundown I will think of all of them and our Chanukah celebrations during our youth. Thanks to Ethel, Lawrence, Betty, Hi, Roz, George, Mort, Frances, Jackie and Gersh for giving us all such wonderful memories.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

At 11:18 AM PST, Blogger Natalie said...

Great photos
Wonderful memories
Look at all those shiny happy faces.

Happy Chanukah!

 
At 1:39 PM PST, Anonymous Donna said...

I just love family celebrations and childhood memories. Happy Chanukah! Sue you don't want that sweater?

 
At 2:25 PM PST, Anonymous Danny said...

Fantastic photos (which could have been stolen from my childhood). Mmmm, deep fried latkes...I'm in! And I want a Grandma Bloom (doesn't everybody?).

 
At 3:33 PM PST, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Growing up, I was always jealous of my Jewish friends. Chanuka always seemed way more fun than our strictly-Catholic Christmas. Definitely is, the way you've described it.

Happy Chanukah!!

 
At 7:03 PM PST, Blogger Jean said...

Isn't it wonderful that a photograph can take you back through time, to recall a specific moment and the joys you were experiencing. I loved this photo.

 
At 9:21 PM PST, Blogger gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

Love the family vintage photos and the memories attached. There's nothing like a gang of cousins!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery