Wednesday, May 26, 2010

45 rpm Cozy

Various types of 45 record adapters

Yes, I'm addicted to crochet. No, not EVERYTHING in my house is covered in crochet. I don't even have a crocheted cozy for my laptop like many of my friends have!
Last night I was working on a crocheted potholder. I'd finished one side and started working on the other. My inventive husband was looking at a few 45 rpm records he'd recently bought at an estate sale. Larry picked up my half-finished potholder and popped the flower portion through the hole in the 45! He re-used my potholder for a 45 cozy!!
Oh young readers....do you even know what a 45 rpm record is? Back in the old days, before downloads, before CDs, before cassettes, we had records. We had record players that played at different speeds: 16, 33-1/3, 78 and 45 rpms. A short history of records can be found here. Between us, Larry and I have a huge collection of records....some shellac, mostly vinyl.
When I worked as a board operator and host at a local radio station, I learned to cue up records for broadcasting and operate all of the various machines to cue carts and cassettes too. Eventually, a computerized digital system took over the station. I feel lucky to have learned radio production during this transitional period. It was like being an air traffic controller to produce the show!
I'll have to check with the Goldmine crowd to find out if they might require some cozies!

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

At 3:26 PM PDT, Blogger Sarah said...

Young reader here! YES, I know what a 45 rpm record is, although I'm not sure I can the same for others in my generation :) I even know how to WORK the record player at my parents house, shocking, I know!

 
At 4:36 PM PDT, Blogger Cindy said...

Ah yes, the days of records. I've heard they may be coming back!LOL Cute idea Larry had on using your crochet for a cosy. Too cute! I too love crochet.

HugsXX
Barbara

 
At 6:07 PM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

Those old 45's need a little cozy preservation! I am glad you could help them out with style.

 
At 7:51 AM PDT, Blogger gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

Perfect match up for you & Larry.
I lov ethe grid of adapters, i forgot about those. It'd make an excellent shirt graphic or fabric.

 
At 10:45 AM PDT, Blogger Christina said...

I have more 78s than 45s but I always wondered why the 45s needed adapters. Why weren't they mfg'd like the 78s and 33-1/3s with the small hole in the center? There must be a reason but I don't know it.

 
At 10:55 AM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Good question, Christina. I found a few answers here:
http://www.enhancedaudio.com/45_restoration.htm

 
At 11:06 AM PDT, Blogger Christina said...

Interesting. I just read this too: http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question10431.html

We used to have an adapter that we put directly on the turntable like this one: http://tinyurl.com/2who625 Easier than keeping track of all the adapters that seemed to go missing or get stepped on and broken. Kids!

 
At 11:20 AM PDT, Blogger ChelleC said...

Oh yes, do I EVER remember 45s! You and Larry are so creative and come up with the most creative ideas.

 
At 12:46 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

That Mister Larry. What a nut. :) Of course, it looks perfect, as if you'd meant for it to be a 45 cozy. It actually makes me want to go out and buy some old 45s (even tho I haven't had a player in DECADES) and learn to crochet!

 
At 7:00 PM PDT, Blogger Lisa R-R said...

I really like the adapter display. It could be a great fabric design.
Very creative as usual - thanks for the post!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery