Thursday, March 24, 2011

Then and Now

photo courtesy of USC Digital Archives

The Fox Stadium Theater, opened in 1931 on Pico Blvd. near Livonia St. (west of Robertson Blvd.) was the location of many summer weekdays for me. Before the theater was turned into Temple B'nai David-Judea in 1964, the Stadium Theater used to run serial movies in the summertime for kids. I remember seeing "Blondie and Dagwood", "Jungle Jim", "Rin-Tin-Tin", "Henry Aldrich", "The 3 Stooges", "Abbot and Costello" and other such movie serials. Mom would pack my brother and me a sack lunch and drop us off at the theater for the afternoon. I do remember kids throwing their sandwiches at the screen if they didn't like something. We used to run up and down the aisles screaming and yelling too. Yes, it was a fine old time at the movies!

Bnai David-Judea Synagogue today

Looking west on Pico Blvd. toward Stadium Theater, 1951

Pico Boulevard has changed a lot since I was a kid!

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 5:01 PM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

I LOVE the last photo. So cool.

 
At 4:09 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"We used to run up and down the aisles screaming and yelling too." Hahaha...that made me laugh!

Christine G.

 
At 7:22 PM PDT, Blogger -K- said...

I use to live in this neighborhood and never knew this to be an old (very old) movie theater.

Fascinating.

 
At 6:45 AM PDT, Blogger Unknown said...

My father worked there as an usher during WWII -- he was tall enough to pass for 18!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery