Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Craft Activism


The BOOK has finally been released! Yesterday I received my publisher's copy of "Craft Activism" by Joan Tapper with photography by Gale Zucker. This book has been a long time in the making. Gale came out to visit Los Angeles and take photos in May 2010. You can read a bit about our journey here. We visited many mosaic inspirational sites around L.A. including the Watts Towers, the Garden of Oz, Bauer Pottery Outlet and more mosaic wonders around the City.

A good bit of PhotoShop help here! Thanks, Gale!

Yes, the beautiful mosaics and historic tiles in and around Los Angeles have always been my favorites. Gale captured this colorful link beautifully in her photographs. Joan did an excellent job of writing about my love for all things yarny and colorful! Thanks to both of them for including me in the book.

Lori S., Lauren and bits of Beth & Carol made it to the book

I wrote two patterns for the book, but only one made the cut....my "Granny Greenbag." Essentially, this is a cloth or plastic shopping bag covered in granny squares. I've actually made many versions of this bag. For the BOOK, I tried to create a circle in a square granny design with coordinating stripes on the sides of the bag. The beauty of using a purchased cloth or plastic tote bag is that you do not have to line the bag or make handles! Thank you, Ana Petrova for this idea. I really love how it turned out.

The original Granny GreenBag
photo by Ellen B.
Alternate Colors for Granny Greenbag, created by a test crocheter, Maryse

The other pattern I wrote was for a flower headband that Gale likes to call my "Frida" because the artist, Frida Kahlo often wore headbands made from flowers in her hair. Even though the pattern didn't make it to the book, a picture of two models wearing the Fridas are in the back pages.


Oh yeah, there are OTHER chapters in the book too! The book encompasses so many crafts: Quilting, Knitting, Artists' Trading Cards, Embroidery, Sewing, Charity Crafting, Recyling and Creating a Craft Community. I can't wait to try some of the other projects in this inspiring book!

All photos from the book, "Craft Activism" by Gale Zucker, unless otherwise noted.

Labels: , , , , ,

9 Comments:

At 11:17 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen this is awesome. Congratulations!

Hugs,
Christine G.

 
At 12:08 PM PDT, Anonymous Jo Anne said...

How wonderful! Congrats for making the book. Your bags are great.

 
At 8:21 PM PDT, Blogger Lisa R-R said...

Very cool indeed! Excellent projects and photos.

 
At 4:13 PM PDT, Blogger Jaimee Drew said...

Hi Ellen,

I have to come out of lurker status to say that I just love your projects! I think this is about the cutest crochet granny square idea I have seen. I just love it! Congrats on the book- I can't wait to pick up a copy!

Cheers!
Jaimee

 
At 4:22 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks for changing your status from lurker to commenter, Jaimee! Also, thanks for the Granny Greenbag compliments! I hope you buy the book and see ALL of the other projects inside!

 
At 8:41 PM PDT, Blogger gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

I'm finally catching up on my blog reading and saw this post.Love that you love the book! Would not be the same without you.
FYI- the only reason the Fridas got cut is we ran out of space and the editor declared all designers with more than one design in the book were losing one. Boom! We hated to see the Fridas go, but glad we could sneak in the models wearing them anyway.

 
At 10:06 AM PDT, Anonymous Twilight said...

Congrats! Your bag is super cute. (as are your Frida headbands)

 
At 4:06 PM PDT, Blogger Steve said...

do you make the Granny Greenbag to sell?

 
At 5:33 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Sorry Steve, I do not make the Granny Greenbag to sell. Buy "Craft Activism." All of the directions to make the bag are in the book!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery