Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Back to Rancho Cucamonga

Beth, 2/12/12 - Hobby Lobby is closed on Sundays!

Last Sunday, just before Valentine's Day, my good pal, Beth and I drove down to Rancho Cucamonga to visit the famous Hobby Lobby store. There aren't very many branches in Southern California, Rancho Cucamonga being the closest. My friend, Carla lives in Houston (a stronghold of the Hobby Lobby franchise). Carla sent me some Hobby Lobby "I Love This Yarn" awhile back and I haven't been able to get it out of my mind. This store brand yarn is acrylic, soft, pliable and lovely. I've been wanting a large amount to make a cardigan. I could have ordered the yarn online, but I wanted to SEE it for myself.
Beth and I got off the freeway and finally found the store. There were only a few cars in the parking lot. It was around 1pm on a Sunday....usually a big shopping day. Well, it seems that Hobby Lobby is closed on Sundays so that their employees may have time for family and worship. WHAT?!? This is Southern California, not the Bible belt! We shop after church on Sundays!!

Beth and I noticed that there was a Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour in the same shopping center. So that our trip wouldn't be a total loss, we decided to have a bite at Farrell's and re-live our youth. Farrell's is long-gone from the San Fernando Valley, but we both have fond memories of the place.

Strke two. There was a long line to get inside Farrell's. It was packed. Apparently, this is where everyone goes after church on Sundays in Rancho Cucamonga.

Farrell's was packed!

Oh well. Beth and I had a small lunch at Panera Bread, paid a visit to the huge Michael's craft store and headed home. It was nice spending time with Beth, even though our trip was not victorious.
Needless to say, I still wanted to get inside Hobby Lobby! Yesterday, Presidents' Day, is a major shopping holiday. I called to make sure that HL would be open and zoomed down there early Monday morning. Success!


This is the hugest hobby store I've ever seen in my life. It's very much like a Michael's or Joann's , super-sized. The merchandise is similar, but there are large amounts of everything. I made a bee-line for the yarn section to check out "I Love This Yarn."


Bingo! I picked up enough for two cardigans and some extra skeins for small projects. I also chose some of the HL brand 100% kitchen cotton. It's soft and almost as nice as Blue Sky Alpaca Worsted Cotton.

HobbyLobby3

I won't be making a special trip out to Rancho Cucamonga soon, but it is a perfect place to stop on our way to Palm Springs!

Labels: , , , , ,

9 Comments:

At 3:25 PM PST, Anonymous Suze said...

I did a little poking around on their website -- a VERY Christian company. :(

http://www.hobbylobby.com/holiday_messages/holiday_messages.cfm

 
At 3:27 PM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Yeah, I know. But they do carry some great yarn and other craft items!

 
At 4:02 PM PST, Anonymous Jo Anne said...

More yarn, OY VEY!!

 
At 4:29 PM PST, Anonymous Carol said...

You don't have to wade through their holiday messages, it's right there in their mission statement:

http://hobbylobby.com/careers/company/purpose.cfm?menu=5

 
At 4:32 PM PST, Blogger Jani said...

Ellen, I only live few miles from Rancho Cucamonga, but probably won't be making the trip again any time soon, either. Their Sunday policy (posted front and center on the entry) made me wonder, but it was the hymns they were playing on their in-store musack system that really got me. I have nothing against "How Great Thou Art," but please, not while I'm shopping!

 
At 4:37 PM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

I hear y'all about pushing Christian ethics at Hobby Lobby shoppers. I was in and out in about 20 minutes. I will not be making any special trips here. I just had to see it once. If I'm in the area or on my way somewhere and NEED more yarn, I'll stop by.

 
At 11:42 PM PST, Anonymous Twilight said...

I've recently discovered I Love This Yarn and I like it. Cheap and soft and oh so versatile.

 
At 6:21 AM PST, Anonymous Hester from Atlanta said...

Isn't HL grand? HL always has pretty good coupons on their website. Sometimes 40% off or 50%off - so if you are planning a trip and have a big purchase in mind- such as a painting set or an ott-lite - be sure and check out the coupons.

Farrells - yes rememberances of my youth. There aren't any Farrells out here in GA.

 
At 8:00 PM PST, Blogger Victoria. said...

if you crave Farrells, there is a branch in Saugus, inside Mountasia. they have go carts and mini golf, and an arcade there too. i try and make it there whenever i go back to the Valley.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery