Friday, July 18, 2014

Vintage Photo Friday - Apes

Photo by Dennis Stock, 1968.  During the filming of "Planet of the Apes," Los Angeles

I see Lytel's Coffee Shop in the background, so I know this must be the corner of Sepulveda and Washington on the edge of Culver City.  That appears to be the character, Cornelius, played by Roddy McDowall, sitting on a bus bench, in full Apes make-up.  There's also a big donut in the background. Maybe this is another location?  Help!  I know it's Los Angeles.  LOVE seeing the apes in my Los Angeles.
Speaking of apes, yesterday, Larry and I visited Creature Features in Burbank to view the show, "Art of the Apes."  We LOVED the art and the shop.  This place is a must-see for sci-fi fans.  


A few of our friends had art exhibited and for sale.  We loved Shag's piece.  The painting depicting Charleton Heston as lead singer in a rock band is epic.  

painting by SHAG

My most fave pieces are those of artist, Lili Chin called "Red Apes Ballet."  I purchased a print of the largest piece.
"Red Ape Ballet" by Lili Chin
by Artist, Lili Chin

Lili is so talented.  When I look at Lili's pieces, I'm reminded of my other favorite movie, "West Side Story."  I can just hear the apes singing and leaping into the air, "When you're a Jet, you're a Jet all the way...."
Have a wonderful weekend, my friends!

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 4:35 AM PDT, Blogger JCMurray said...

Love the cars and tailfins in the first picture. Of course, maybe the ape in the picture is really an ape.... (Cue the spooky music)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery