Friday, December 12, 2014

Vintage Photo Friday - Oh, Didn't It Rain, Children!


Oh yeah!  Didn't it rain, children?  You bet it did!  Sister Rosetta Tharpe's song was ringin' in my ears this morning around 3:30 when the rain began pounding our roof!
The rain woke us up.  The Emergency Alert Flood Warning annoying sound on our cellphones woke us up.  Various chirps and flashes around the house when the power went out around 5 a.m. woke us up.  Oy!
I got up around 6:30, read the newspaper by candlelight while eating my still cool, but warming yogurt, fruit and juice for breakfast.  Luckily, I could heat water on our gas stove and take a hot shower...in the dark.  Alas, no hair dryer for my coiffure.  I did the best I could.
My sweet husband brought a Coleman lantern into my closet so I wouldn't have to dress in the dark.  I would not want to wear navy blue slacks instead of black ones!!
Larry's Coleman Lantern in my closet

The power came on about 10 minutes before I was ready to drive to work.  Phew!  I am not cut out for camping or pioneer living.
I'm sure we'll have more rain this weekend, but for now, the sun is shining through the clouds in East Santa Monica from my office window.  Here are a few vintage photos from the L.A. Public Library Photo Archives of the results of past storms in the Los Angeles area.
1964.  Rain and traffic through the Cahuenga Pass on the Hollywood Freeway
1963.  Cyclist in the San Fernando Valley after heavy rain

Be safe and have a great weekend.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery