Thursday, January 22, 2015

Yarny Lace

The El Segundo Slipt Stitchers has a new Knit-A-Long and Crochet-A-Long (KAL, CAL).  I'm on the committee to select the patterns for this exercise.  I usually help with the crochet selection, since I crochet more often than I knit.  The "a-long" part means that many of our members will knit and/or crochet the same pattern during a two-month period.  We will compare notes along the way and then show off our new items at our March meeting.
For this winter's CAL, we chose the South Bay Shawlette.  This is a lovely pattern that I have crocheted numerous times in various yarn weights.  The pattern consists of a two-row repeat, making it easy to remember.  Even though the pattern is uncomplicated, it looks fancy.  People always oooooo and ahhhh when they see the results.
South Bay Shawlette

The KAL selection is "Afternoon Tea."  This is a sweet, lacy shawl with a repetitive pattern.  Both the CAL and KAL selections are very popular on Ravelry.
Afternoon Tea Shawl

At last Saturday's meeting, when my co-committee chairs and I announced this KAL / CAL, we all held up samples of the shawls and answered questions.  I declared in front of 85 knitters and crocheters that I would try my hand at knitting "Afternoon Tea."  There was a gasp among the crowd!  I'm primarily known for crochet with this group and I'd never shared ANY of my knit projects with the El Segundo Guild, only my crocheted items.   Sheesh!  I've been knitting since I was 7 years old!
Within the past couple of years, I've knit the "Summer Flies" shawl a couple of times, so I absolutely CAN knit a lacy shawl.  Harumph!
"Summer Flies"
I've found that crocheting is, on the whole, so much more satisfying than knitting.  Crocheting takes less time than knitting.  It's also easier to correct your mistakes in crochet.  That said, I rushed home after the meeting last Saturday and checked my yarn stash.  Yes!  Mary Jo brought me the most lovely yarn from New Zealand last year called "Naturally."  It's a merino and silk blend, DK weight in a pretty shade of gray with some subtle flecks of pink and darker gray.  I grabbed my size 6 needles and started the "Afternoon Tea" shawl.  I've made some progress in the last week!  I must admit, knitting lace is fun, but I do have to concentrate!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery