Monday, March 16, 2015

Argh!

"Dragon Scales Shawl" by Karissa Browning

Since knitting the "Afternoon Tea" shawl last month, I'm inspired by lace patterns. I've knit my share of lace in the past, but have done more crochet patterns than knit ones in the last 10 years. I thought I'd choose a repetitive, grid-like lace pattern and try another shawl. The "Dragon Scales Shawl" by Karissa Browning looked like a good possibility. I read everyone's Ravelry projects page who had knit this shawl, noting discrepancies in the pattern, yarn weights, needle sizes, etc.  I was ready to knit.

I looked through my stash and found a full skein of Cascade 220 Superwash in a lovely blue color. It photographs grayish on the blog, but really, it's blue.  Look at the blue slipover that I knit for Larry a few years ago. This is the same yarn.


Larry's Blue Slipover in Cascade 220 Superwash, BLUE
Argh!

I made it to Row 23 and found what I thought was a mistake. No other knitters had mentioned that on Row 23, the pattern says to K5 instead of the usual 4. I changed it to K4, since that was how the pattern was established. Another row and I was fine. THEN, the count was not coming out! Was I watching too much TV while knitting? Did my attention stray for a few stitches? I'm sure this entire description is fascinating for non-knitting readers of this blog.
Argh! I ripped out and started over. It was only 26 rows. After trying this pattern 2 more times, I gave up and went back to a marinating crochet project.
I know that I should train myself to read a lace chart. It just seams easier and more comfortable to me to read the written pattern. I'm fine with reading crochet charts. Time to hit the books and bring this pattern to WeHo Stitch 'n Bitch this week and seek the advice of the knit experts!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 8:54 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you Ellen. I can not read the knit charts. Crochet charts are fine. The knit charts are a mystery because if the symbol says "k2tog" on the chart, then how come it doesn't use two blocks?? I dunno. If the pattern says "chart" then I keep moving.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery